Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Black Dirt Rodeo




























So there is this annual thing around Sept called 24 hour comic book day. This was started by an artist named Scott McCloud and the object of the day is to create a 24 page comic in 24 hours! My friend Jordan and I went to the location in NYC where this was being held which was a comic book shop called Jim Hanley's Universe. Expecting there to be a lot of participants, Jordan and I were surprised to be the youngest of about 10 people. A few of the people were just some random people who enjoyed drawing comics while a few of the others were sort of in the industry and had a few published books. During the 24 hours Neil Adams, a distinguished comics illustrator came in and gave us fried chicken! It turned out that his son was one of the people participating. We also met another comic colorist for Marvel and DC named Tom Chu. So anyway, for my idea for the comic I used my brother's story and then pretty much made up everything else as I went along. You an also see that the drawing quality just declines at the pages go on because my hand just go so tired!! It is much harder than you think to do one page per hour + cover. It may also seem pretty stupid because there was no prior planning except for some of the story. I am hopefully going to take this one day and revamp it really nice to make it look good. Right now just see it as a rough script. Also when this was done with we scanned it and sent it away to a library in Ohio to be archived in the 24 hour comics day file and also sent it to Scott McCloud himself for a chance to be published in a 24 hour comics day book for 2008. These two things were pretty much the only real rules that were set up for this event. The rest was have fun and make a comic! So here is what I did in that 24 hours. Hope to redo this one day it could be awesome. Oh yeah and NO REFERENCE WAS USED thats why it looks all wobbly and funny. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment